Next up in my #AwesomeDads series is Eugene “Smurf” Topps. I’ve spent a lot of time with Smurf on the basketball court the past couple of months and we’ve developed a friendly rivalry (even though his game is much better than mine). If you’ve been friends with him on Facebook for any amount of time, it’s not hard to see that he loves his family. He’s a good guy to know even though he cheers for the Chicago Bears.
1) Tell us a little bit about yourself. I’m a 39-year-old father of one teenage daughter, Cyerra Nicole as well the fiance of a wonderful woman, Leslie Shuffitt. I am a native of Chicago, born, breed and raised to cheer for the Bears. In my free time, I play basketball, softball and some bowling as well as being very active in my nieces’ and nephews’ lives.
2) How long have you been a father? I’ve been a father for 14 years.
3) What’s your all-time favorite video game? My all-time favorite video game is Pac-Man. How could it not be?
4) Do you still play video games? What games are you playing right now? Yes, I do still play videos games and at the moment, I’m enjoying NBA2K14.
5) What video game systems do you currently own? Sadly, I have an Xbox 360. I’m not a big fan of it. LOL.
6) What’s your favorite activity to do with your kid(s)? I have many favorite activities. We play video games together. We go to the mall now and then. It really is about the time I get to spend with her.
7) What’s the best part about being a dad? The best part of being a dad is knowing that my child is my world and being able to provide for her on every level she needs me. To hear her laugh and voice is what makes being a father worth the grey hairs.
8) What has been the worst part about being a dad? The boys.
9) What’s your best advice for new dads? Best advice I can give is allow your child to define who they are and embrace every moment that you have with them.
10) Anything else we should know about you? I’m a down to earth good guy who takes friends and family as serious as the next. And I plan on doing stand up comedy.