Next up in my #AwesomeDads series is Chris Thompson. Chris and I grew up in the same neighborhood and have been friends for nearly 30 years (holy cow). We played the old school video games back in the day and used to compete against each other in everything. Now he’s probably the most in shape person I know and shames me anytime I try to play a sport with him. Oh well. It’s amazing for us to talk about our lives as dads because we were friends when we were our kids’ ages. Chris is a great friend and an Awesome Dad.
1) Tell us a little bit about yourself. I have been married to my beautiful wife Bobbie for almost 15 years and we have three amazing and totally different kids. Stone is 10 (11 on March 30), Caleb is 7 and Makenna is 5. They are hilarious! I also like to think I was a pioneer of the one and done phenomenon. Problem is I went pro as a fireman not an athlete. Although it is a rewarding career, it is nowhere near as lucrative as a professional athlete. I also coach CrossFit classes at a local CrossFit affiliate. My wife is a travel agent at Platinum Travel. The kids all go to school here in Oldham County at Locust Grove Elementary (Makenna will be there in the fall). My family loves Disney World and my kids have been there more times than you can count on one hand.
2) How long have you been a father? I have been a father for just about 11 years now since I was 25.
3) What’s your all-time favorite video game? Why? Gotta be Madden Football any year. When in was younger, I loved playing season after season. I played for years starting when it first came out. I lived vicariously through those little characters on the screen tracking their stats. I loved having the league leaders in every category. Man that was fun.
4) Do you still play video games? What games are you playing right now? Occasionally, I play with the kids. We have an Xbox 360 and they love all the Lego games. I actually enjoy them a ton myself. Of course, my oldest is into the Batman Arkham Origins and Injustice games. Those are fun too, but no Madden Football. It’s not like you can track Batman’s stats.
5) What video game systems do you currently own? We own a Wii and an xbox 360
6) What’s your favorite activity to do with your kids? This is gonna sound brutal to some of you but we actually get toy guns and weapons of all kinds and have a hunger games type of event using our whole house as the arena. We’ve even gotten my wife to play. Only problem is my oldest is hard to kill because he’s always like “you just hurt me really bad.” I highly recommend you try your own hunger games with your family. Good wholesome family fun!
7) What’s the best part about being a dad? Everyday is a new adventure. From coaching youth sports, watching their successes and failures, breaking up fights, praying for them at bedtime, watching the grocery bill skyrocket, playing video games, hunger games with them and seeing them grow into awesome and completely individual people. I am so proud to be the father of my kids. What’s not to like.
8) What has been the worst part about being a dad? It has shown me everything that I am not. I am not always patient, and I can struggle to control my frustration and temper. The great thing about kids is they are always quick to forgive and they make me realize my faults and try to be a better me.
9) What’s your best advice for new dads? Enjoy every moment as best you can. It all goes by so quickly. It sounds cliche but I am convinced this is the truth. You will laugh, cry, probably embarrass them, but always show them love and let them know that home is a safe place where they are cherished just the way they are. We aren’t perfect and neither are they.
You can follow Chris on Twitter at @Chris5_Thompson.