Tonight, my son saw me working on this blog and started asking some questions about it. After I told him about it, he asked if he could write something. I asked him what he wanted to write about and he came up with the five reasons to play basketball (below). In addition to the reasons he came up with, I’ve added in some of my own commentary.
1) Your teammates will become some of your best friends. I’ve definitely seen him become friends with the kids he’s been playing with on his two school teams. There’s definitely camaraderie that comes with being on a team.
2) You get to dunk on your friends. My son can be a little over-confident sometimes. He can’t dunk (yet) so I’m not sure where that came from.
3) You can hit 3-pointers. Ethan likes to shoot 3-pointers (like most basketball players). He’s not very accurate yet but he loves trying. It’s true that you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.
4) You get to block shots and say “get that out of my house.” I pictured Dikembe Mutombo when he said this. He’s not much of a shot blocker but maybe he’ll get there some day. Did I mention that he can be a little over-confident sometimes?
5) You probably couldn’t find referees any worse than the ones from tonight’s game. This one is kind of random but it’s fresh in his mind. They were pretty bad. I did not say anything to him about the refs (at all). These are his comments.
I will say that I’m happy that Ethan has shown such an interest in basketball. In addition to playing it, he’s shown an interest in watching it on TV (pro and college). It’s inspired me to start playing again. I’m hoping that it’s something we can do together as both of us grow up.